Saturday, March 24, 2012

My opinion of CMT's Sweet Home Alabama

This is a clip of the show Sweet Home Alabama on CMT

    For the past several weeks I have faithfully watched the "Reality" dating show on CMT called Sweet Home Alabama, featuring Paige Duke and 22 men all vying for her love.  I can honestly say I have never been one that is big on watching reality TV or one to care about  what happens to the individuals on these shows because they volunteered to be on the show. 

     However, this show was different... I found myself liking Paige and caring who she chose to date.  I think I am one of thousands who wanted to throw something at the TV last night when she chose someone other than "Bubba", a hometown cowboy from Alabama. I literally turned my television off after Jeremiah was chosen and couldn't watch Paige tell Bubba that she hadn't picked him.. couldn't see the look of disappointment on his face.  Of course, the first thing I did after that was get on my Facebook to see what the reaction from my friends to the finale was... we were all in shock.  Paige broke Bubba's heart... I understand that none of us here in East Texas or across the country have ever met him.  It just seems to me as if maybe she led him on just a tad... if she had no intention of ever picking him... why tell him you could spend everyday for the rest of your life working his cows?  Why comment on how much room he has in his closets for your boots? As most of you know, I don't sleep well at night and pondered all of these things as I lie in bed last night.  Then I began wondering, what makes this show or any of it's cast members that important to me that I am losing sleep?  These people are total strangers and I shouldn't care.  It's almost as if while I sat here on my couch every Friday night religiously at 8pm watching this show progress that I have met these people and want only the best for them.  It doesn't matter that these people are on TV, these people have real lives, and real hearts and they are still adversely affected... only with the whole world watching.  I cannot imagine how that feels.  I cannot imagine being any of the contestants eliminated, but especially Bubba and having to keep a happy face for the three months it took in between the final taping of the show until last night ... pretending to be ok and not seem like your heart had been broken so you wouldn't give away the ending to the show.  Where does America draw the line between entertainment and people's lives? Where do we recognize that these are people's lives and they are important and shouldn't be played upon just for ratings? Now, some may say that if Paige and Bubba were to have met in a normal setting and  Paige chose to date another person she still would've broken his heart... well that may be. But at least he wouldn't have had the whole world watching his every move... or people telling him how much they loved him, wanted him to marry her, and then get the biggest disappointment of his life broadcast to the entire nation.

     Maybe I have an unfair bias towards sweet handsome southern cowboys who know how to treat a lady... But, I for one would've gladly picked Bubba... and wouldn't have ever thought twice about it.

    I cannot judge a person for how they feel towards another and if Paige truly does love Jeremiah, despite how he behaved on TV, I can't blame her for picking him.  That just means there is one more super sweet respectful cowboy to love a great lady.  Every person deserves someone who will love them unconditionally, truly want them to be happy and be willing to do anything for them.  Maybe it takes truly having your heart broken to understand this.

    That's all the ranting I have for now on Tv shows.  I don't think I'll be watching CMT's new show Southern Nights.  I've seen my fair share of drama in my own life and on Sweet Home Alabama this season, that I don't care to see a bunch of adults be relatively immature and behave like high-schoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment