Monday, June 4, 2012

School bells

Today was the first day of my first summer semester of college, before I  finally receive my Associate's Degree in Social Work in the fall. My class this semester is Environmental Biology.  I have lab three whole days a week, and the actual class is online.  We will see how this turns out.  I am fairly confident things will go well.  After all, I have completed about seven online classes.  However, this  is the first semester I will be trying to go to school with my heart and mind oftentimes somewhere other than here. 

Today, I entered into the classroom.
Chose a nice place to sit, close to the front of the room and the professor.  There were several other ladies who sat close to me.  The one directly across from me was a social work major as well.  I also learned that the mother of the lady who sat next to me was a social worker and worked locally in children's services.   It made me feel great to know that so many people are wanting to work for the greater good of society.

My heart only heart momentarily today when the girl who is about my age, told me that her Social worker mother only now works about two days a week, because she had just given birth and her mother would rather stay home and watch her sweet baby than work.  As the time passed, the girl asked me what I wanted to do in social work and I told her I would love to work with abused and neglected children, or maybe in a hospital setting, since the social worker in my hospital was so great to me.  I had to explain that I was in the hospital for three weeks.  She asked what I did there.  She thought I had been working in there as part of a social work program. 

Sitting there trying to explain, I almost broke down in tears.  I just sat there stumbling over my words.  

Finally, I just told her that it sucked and dropped it.  

Luckily, class after that continued without anymore issues or tears.  Hopefully the rest of the semester will continue on the same way.

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment