Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake and Tsunami

Tsunami surge from Japan quake hits Hawaii

A little bit after 6:30am this morning, here in East Texas, I woke up and started watching The Weather Channel's coverage of the Catastrophic Tsunami in Japan.  The footage shown was horrifying.  I am sad for all of the residents of Japan who had 30 seconds after the Earthquake warning sirens went off to prepare, obviously they did not know that it was going to be of such high magnitude.  According to my Yahoo news this morning, they were shortly after hit with a 23 foot wall of water. 

 It is hard for me, a little Texas girl to fathom being there in the center of all of this chaos, and to think that others across the country probably don't have a care in the world, because they are not directly being affected by water or the earth shaking violently.  All of the people affected by these horrible disasters will be in my heart and prayers.

According to the Weather Channel, 1 cubic foot of water weighs 1700 pounds, I can't imagine the force of 23 foot tall waves  coming toward me, my home or my town. 
FACTBOX - Tsunami developments in the Western ...

It is my opinion that we as Americans, sometimes put these types of events out of our mind, classify them as something that could never happen to us, we are better prepared, have more technology, more money... however nature does not care about those Elitisms.   We are not Immune. I often wonder how our country would react if we experienced such wide-spread damage.  Sometimes it is easy to watch from afar and maybe send a couple of dollars, or a gallon or two of water and still go about living our happy lives.  Would it be that easy to go about our lives if our fellow citizens of the United States were in desperate need of help?

Below are some pictures of the damage in Japan so far:


Hundreds dead in Japanese quake-tsunami disaster
This was in Japan, this damage is from the 8.9 Earthquake

Fires burn in a harbour following an earthquake ...
This is all of the water over Japan

Prayerfully

No comments:

Post a Comment